We are so sad that we cannot be with you all during this time of social distancing and quarantine due to the Corona Virus, COVID-19. But even though we miss having programs with you and helping you out in the Children’s Room, doesn’t mean we can’t help you out virtually.
First take a look at what you can do with your HBPL Library card. If you don’t have a library card or it is currently expired and/or you can’t make a password, please sign up for a temporary card that will last for 90 days here.
Access to live tutors in math, science, reading/writing, social studies, PSAT/SAT, ACT, AP and state standardized tests. Also includes a 24-hour online writing lab and Homework Question Center. (Available in Spanish)
We have access to several databases including; Britannica School (available in Spanish), CultureGrams, Digital Public Library of America, Kids Infobits. These are some great places to find articles, information, and encyclopedia entries.
Novelist K-8 Plus provides access to reading recommendations for both fiction and nonfiction for kids in grades K-8.
Access to e-books, audio-books and more. You can read many on your computer’s web browser, or download to your Kindle or Kindle App, or use the Libby app!
Check out the ‘Homework Help’, ‘Read It!’, and ‘Parenting & Family’ tabs on the Children’s Room site for great homework resources ,reading lists & early literacy activities, as well as our Pinterest page for other great ideas.
Without further ado, here’s what the Children’s Room has come up with to make your time at home fun and educational! We will continue to post our favorites from this list and new one’s as they come to our department’s Facebook page! Many that are usually paid, are providing extended free trials during this time.
- Stay at home Storytime with Oliver Jeffers Everyday at 2 pm Oliver Jeffers will read one of his books and archive it on his website.
- Storytime from Penguin Kids: Everyday at 11 am EST authors and illustrators will read their books on Instagram.
- Storytime From Space: Astronauts read to you from the International Space Station!
- Storyline Online: Some of your favorite celebrities read some great stories.
- Turtle Dance Music: Long Island library favorite, Mr. Matt is doing live performances that include, songs and stories, 3 times a day, as well as daily parent only activities on his Instagram account.
- #OperationStoryTime: Many celebrities, authors, and illustrators are reading stories using this hashtag, check out your favorite social media accounts and see what they have for you to enjoy.
- Draw Every Day with JJK: Jarret J. Krosoczka the author of the Lunch Lady series and Peanut Butter & Jellyfish is providing an all-ages masterclass at 2 pm everyday.
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems: Mo Willems the author of Elephant & Piggie and the Pigeon books will post weekdays at 1 pm with a new video to doodle and show off some behind the scenes looks of his work.
Games, Activities, & Lessons:
- BrainPOP: A trusted learning resource supporting core and supplemental subjects in a fun cartoon format.
- Cool Math: Math games and lessons
- Exploratorium: This museum in San Francisco, has tons of online experiences to feed your curiosity and education resources supporting online teaching and learning.
- Funbrain: Hundreds of games, books, comics, and videos that develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy.
- Jumpstart: Some great educational games,worksheets and activities you can print out.
- National Geographic Kids: Explore games, videos and all types of animals.
- Preschool Games: Preschool level games from Education.com
- Scholastic Learn at Home: Provides 20 days’ worth of active learning journeys designed to reinforce and sustain educational opportunities for those students who are unable to attend school.
- Virtual Field Trips: Many museums, zoos, aquariums and more have virtual tours and activities to view, a great way to see something new without leaving your home.
Comment below with your favorite websites or online activities! Keep posted for new stuff and important updates on our Facebook page . We hope to see everyone soon!